Fox Sports Jay Glazer and the Minneapolis Tribue (whose web site is being destroyed atm) have both reported that Favre has told teammates and the Vikings organization that he will not return for season number 20. I’ll believe it when I see it, but there are several fantasy football angles to follow.
1. Adrian Peterson – his stock stays the same as the #2 RB taken behind Chris Johnson. While his workload will increase, so will the Defensive focus he already draws. It should even itself out.
2. Tavaris Jackson – will not appear as a fantasy starter, but will now find a home on someones bench waiting for a bye week fill in. He has piles of talent around him, so he could be a good late round stab.
3. Sidney Rice – out of everyone he is hurt the most. Rice’s two years without Favre resulted in 46 catches and 537 yards. With Favre he jumped to 83 catches and 1300 yards. Rice goes from a solid WR1 all the way down to WR3.
4. Percy Harvin – His rookie season saw him put up 760 yards and 6 TD, making him a nice fill in WR3. Now he will probably go undrafted.
5. Visanthe Shiancoe – His stock will remain mostly unchanged, he caught a few more TD’s with Favre last year, but his production stayed about the same. Young QBs need a good safety valve so I see him seeing more balls this year. Visanthe will remain a viable TE1 with an impossible to pronounce name.